The Athenaeum of War
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Race - Kal's Lesson

Go down

The Race - Kal's Lesson Empty The Race - Kal's Lesson

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:00 am

"Wind magic has many applications - from stealth or information gathering to slicing things in two. There are three main categories of wind magic - tactical - battle - and transportation. Today we'll start with the simplest application - transportation. There are two major forms - the best known one of course being flight. However due to recent... mishaps with the gliders" he gave his sister a pointed glance, and her cheeks colored as she looked down, "and the sheer danger to beginners, we'll be starting with the other more stable application - sailboats.

"Down at the lake there are a set of sailboats specifically designed to be pushed by wind magic users. I've set up a buoy out in the middle of the lake. Practice sailing out and back to the buoy a couple of times first. You'll quickly find out that to be efficient you'll need to be able to manage a few breezes at a time to direct your course and keep you away from the other students. The stronger breezes you can summon, the faster you'll go - but remember if you summon too much you'll blow away your sail, and if you don't make the breeze spread out, you'll end up slicing through your sail, or maybe even your boat. Now just in case that does happen - the lake isn't that dangerous, and you all should be able to swim away just fine, but you should try and not break the boats, okay? Mnem will blame me....

"When you think you've got the hang of it, we'll all have a bit of fun and have a race."

"And of course it wouldn't be a race without a prize!" Kal said as he drew a large gemstone out of his travel sack.

As the students (except for Tahi, who wasn't that impressed, seeing as he'd given her a lot more of this very gemstone because of her... humanity) gasped, and moved in closer for a better look - Kal continued. "This, ladies and gentlecreatures is an opal. And although it looks like just a pretty little trinket - and believe me it is pretty - it is also an extremely powerful tool for any magic user. You see - opals absorb and store magic. Now there are many applications of this. You can use them to store your own magic - and then when you're in a bind, you can draw on them." He glanced at his sister. That was what she did with the opal laden belt she wore with her favorite blue dress and her battle armor. "But you can also use them to expand your magical potential." He patted the opal that sat on his left shoulder, holding up his robe, and a collective gasp rose up as fire shot from his fingers, and out into the air, where his wind magic caught it - fanning the flame into a star shape, before it died.

The students clapped, and Kal grinned. "I'm a pure nephelae. No fire magic at all - but this opal was empowered by my lady with the magic of the hearth, and through it I can use fire magic. Which can be extremely useful. It'll be up to the winner to see what they want to do with it - but they're useful useful things to have." He pocked the opal.

"Now - off you go"

==========================================================================

A reminder how this will work - I'm going to pick an arbitrary number (which I will note to Dutchi or Lotus so they'll have it too, and obviously Tahi won't compete, since I know the answer, and she's stuck in the middle of the lake anyways...) between 5 and 15. The person who posts that number (ex: if the number is 5 the fifth person to post after this post here will win) will be the "winner" and will be allowed to write how they win the race. But you're going to have to build up to it, so hopefully we can get a good RP going. You also cannot post twice in a row. Okay?

Let's play!

Back to top Go down

The Race - Kal's Lesson Empty Re: The Race - Kal's Lesson

Post by Guest Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:07 pm

((OooooH. That's what that number was for. xD I was like lolwut? I'm guessing this means I'm out of the race too since I know it? No biggie, my only student is out of commission anyway. :3

Ehm. my post doesn't count towards the number! Start after mine >> ))

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Wind magic!

Eien had felt more confident about it than last year, even though he still wasn't too sure of his skills. But then, he couldn't stop his mind from wandering as Kal was explaining. There's just too much going on when you're now a fifth year student!

That, until Kal took out the opal. It's beauty was unmatched! More than anything, he thought it should make an excellent gift to his mentor to make up for his inactivity.

With that in mind, all self-doubt disappeared--he's going to win this no matter what! Whether he's good at wind magic or not!

As Kal announced the beginning of the lesson, he hurried to his boat.

"Alright, let's start!"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down