The Athenaeum of War
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dream Weapon

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dream Weapon Empty Dream Weapon

Post by Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:08 am

Eri lay on her bed staring at the ceiling. She was completely, utterly, and without a doubt, BORED. She'd been thinking. (That's right, head for the hills o3o) All her life she had loved learning about combat... about weapons... but her father had drawn the line after allowing her to learn the sword, glaive, and daggers. He had never allowed her to try the weapon she truly, desperately wanted to try...

Now she was free to do, more or less, whatever she liked, but she had no access to the weapon... not here.

But then... why not make one? she thought to herself, sitting up rather suddenly. But I don't have a desi- "THE LIBRARY!" she squealed bolting out of her bed and running along the halls. The library had books from all times and subjects... surely they would have at least one about them.

Fingers crossed, she rushed into the room as quietly as was possible for her in her clicking, heeled boots. She dashed down isle after isle searching through the shelves until finally. "AHA!" she snatched the book from its spot and bolted to one of the tables. Sitting down, she pried it open studying the various designs and blueprints.

"I can make this.." she breathed happily. "I'm certain I can." and with that, she screeched out of the library, the book tucked under her jacket.

She ran out to the forge in high spirits, plopping the book down opened to the page she wanted. The forge was blisteringly hot so she stripped off her coat and gloves, tossing them over a nearby uncompleted wheel.... but she was still far too warm. She looked around carefully. There was no-one here... so... oh why not?

She pulled off her corset and boots and the heavy blouse, dropping them on the pile as well, until she stood in her usual long skirt and a white undershirt. She then began rushing about gathering the metals and other materials she needed, heating the fire with her magic as she dumped the materials on a nearby table. "No sense in dying of heat stroke... I knew I should have worn boys' clothes today" she muttered, wiping her brow as she began heating a large hunk of iron.

Back to top Go down

Dream Weapon Empty Re: Dream Weapon

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:07 am

[ Eri thinking? Oh we're all in trouble now! xD ]

Jane was having a stroll when someone whizzed by her, going so fast that she didn't get a proper look at who they were or where they were going. But she had nothing better to do today, and she thought she'd recognized the dress...

She wandered around in the general direction that the girl had been going, glancing around and trying to see where the person might have gone. Then she saw the forge. Jane had never been inside herself, she wasn't particularly interested in crafting weapons for herself and spending hard work to earn skills that she'd never use outside of the Athenaeum, but it was the only place she could think of to go, so she stuck her head inside.

The first thing that hit her was the heat, a wave of it coming out as she opened the door. Because she was wearing her usual longsleeved warm shirt, it made her start to sweat almost instantly. Well, if she wasn't kicked out and if she didn't wander away out of disinterest, at least she'd thought to wear a sports bra today...

Jane poked her head inside, glancing around and recognizing Eri. "Oh hey," she said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:25 pm

(I know D8 RUN AWAAAAY)

Eri turned rather suddenly, startled by the voice, which she could barely hear over the racket she was making. Seeing Jane in the doorway, she grinned and dropped the hunk of metal she had been working on, wiping her hands on a nearby rag and tugging at the annoying warm skirt.

"Oh hallo... Jane, was it? What brings you to the forge?" she said with a lopsided grin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:01 am

"Oh nothing," she said airily, rolling her sleeves up to let some of the heat out. "I just nearly got mowed over by someone going in this direction and wondered why they were in such a hurry."

Jane smiled, somewhat amused with herself. "Well? What's with all the rush?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Eri grinend apologetically. "Oh oops... sorry about that" she said rubbing the back of her head and still fiddling with the skirt. "I was just so excited, I guess I kinda spaced out... er... excuse me one moment will you?..."

Finally fed up with the skirt, she turned aside a moment, yanked the buckles open, and tossed it on the pile of clothing. Now clad in her petticoats and undershirt,she turned back to the older girl sheepishly. "Sorry about that" she grinned. "Its just so hot in here... Anyway... I'm making a weapon... or trying to... I've never made one like this before.."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 pm

"It's fine," she said with a small smile. "And yes it is rather hot in here. I was just thinking about taking my shirt off as well, as long as nobody else comes in..."

Jane tilted her head to the side at the mention of a weapon. "What kind of weapon?" she asked, wondering what on earth would get Eri so excited over something. Probably a lot, she thought after a second, but what had gotten her excited this time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:00 am

Eri grinned, with just a tinge of evil delight, gesturing to the pile of papers showing various pieces of a weapon. "Flatten those out and you'll see what it is" she said. The weapon in question, was a rifle... but not just any rifle.

Eri had decided to combine the blueprints she had found in the library with her own steam engineering skills to create a steam powered rifle. The design was fairly complicated and ornamental, but every piece, no matter how ornamental was, at its core, essential to the workings and structure of the weapon.

"I need to come up with a name for her eventually." she said cheerfully, banging away on a hunk of metal cheerfully, stoking the fire with her magic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Jane went over to the papers and flattened them, looking over them with raised eyebrows. "A rifle?" she asked, glancing up at Eri for a second before looking down again to inspect more of the blueprints.

"Looks rather heavy," she muttered to herself, thinking about the mechanics of the weapon now and trying to keep the time period Eri came from in mind. "Backfire...hmmm..." Jane had never thought about actually making a gun before, though she didn't think she'd be able to even if she tried, but it was an interesting concept, from what she could understand.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:31 am

Eri giggled. "Obviously you've never seen my glaive." she said thinking of the elegant, though rather extravagant and heavy weapon that she tended to favor. "I think I'll be ok after some practice with it. I won't be using it for the tournament or anything, but I've always wanted to learn to shoot. I wasn't allowed to back home... but here I can" she spouted cheerily, flattening the hunk of metal out, breaking off a piece, and beginning to shape it.

"I'll have to make some wooden pieces as well, but that shouldn't be too hard." she said as she worked. "I have a bit of Earth magic that I might be able to use to help me out a little."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Jane nodded, coming out of her intense thought. "Your glaive? No, I haven't. Isn't that...somewhat like a scythe? Or am I getting my weapons mixed up?"

She thought about shooting. Target practice was fun... "I prefer handguns personally," she said conversationally. "But I've shot rifles before. Never one like this, though, this one looks...interesting."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:46 pm

"Well a glaive IS a polearm like a scythe is, but that's about all they have in common." she said matter-of-factly as she worked. "A glaive has a pole about 6 to 7 feet long and has an 18 inch razor sharp blade on the end. it generally something like a sword blade and often has little hooked pieces on it as well... if you use those bits you can inflict some rather nasty injuries." she said wrinkling her nose.

"I don't expect you would have tried one of these before" she giggled. "I designed it. As far as I know, its the only one of its kind. Heck, it may not even work." she laughed. "but you never known until you try right?" she said cheerfully, setting aside a completed piece.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:49 pm

"...well that sounds like something that could really do some damage," she said, feeling slightly stupid for not knowing much else than that they both had poles on the end. "More efficient, too."

Then she tilted her head to the side. "You designed it? That's interesting. I hope it does work, it looks like it would be fun to try out, if the rebound wasn't that bad."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:03 am

Eri shrugged "Its pretty useful" she said pounding away at a new hunk of metal. "The super long pole can be a bit tricky to get used to though."

"Yep. I had to take the basics from a book in the library, but I've added quite a few modifications. Who knows what the rebound will be like though" she said stoking the fire once more. "I've never used any gun at all, so this will be entirely new for me."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:29 am

"Oh, I know. I've got a scythe myself."

Jane glanced back at the gun again. "Like I said, I'm more of a handgun person, but I'll help with anything I can, if you want me to."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:31 am

"D'you know anything about working in a forge?" Eri asked wiping a bit of sweat off her brow and grinning Devilishly.

((just so you know, I might be a bit slow on replies. I'm working on some new art x33333))

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 am

She shrugged, glancing around. "Not really. But if you show me the ropes I'll try to catch on." Then she laughed wryly. "I guess I'm not the best helper to have, but I'll try."

[ Aw, lucky. I'm only replying all speedy because I'm supposed to be doing homework and my scanner isn't working. xD ]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:54 am

Eri laughed. "All right then" she said tossing a chuck of metal into the hot coals and pointing to a rack of tools on the wall. "Find yourself a hammer that suits you and possibly an apron as well if your skin is sensitive to burns." she said as she shaped a small piece with care.

((ha ha ha I know that feeling XD My scanner is me Dad's room so I always have to go in there to use it... and half the time, I work on stuff late at night so I can't scan it then ;3; Maybe I'll practice livestreaming again since I'm doing computer artwork XD))

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:02 am

Jane wasn't sure about burns, but figured that an apron wouldn't be a bad thing to have. So she searched around until she found one, and then searched around a bit more until she found a hammer that had a nice weight to it.

Standing slightly awkwardly, she returned to Eri. "Okay, now what?"

[ My scanner's in my brother's room right now, which isn't really a problem because none of us spend any time in our rooms. But it's not working for some reason, I think I may have to uninstall it and then try to reinstall it. But sometime when I actually have time.
Oooh, livestream. I'd go sit and watch, even though I'm supposed to be doing homework xD ]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:11 am

Eri grinned. "Grab that pair of tongs there" she said gesturing to one hanging close by. "And grab that hunk of metal out of the coal. Just flatten it out on on of the anvils with the hammer. Whenever the metal gets too difficult to shape, put it back in the coals and use the bellows to heat the coal up more. Once the metal is red-hot again, then you can work with it more easily." she said.

((ha ha well if you're interested, here it is http://www.livestream.com/artmusicetc I'll start it up in a minute ))

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:15 am

Jane nodded, taking the tongs and pulling the metal out. She was good at hitting things...

A few whacks of the hammer later, she felt like though this wasn't as easy as it sounded or first appeared, she might just be getting the hang of it. Maybe. A little.

[ Awesome x3 I don't have any sound for reasons unknown, but I'll sit in there and watch, join the chat ]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:35 am

Eri giggled and set down her tools for a moment. "Don't try to get it perfectly flat at first" she said rearranging Jane's grip on the tongs and hammer. "just try to get it flattish to start with, and then start working on getting it smoothed out after." she said returning to her own hunk of metal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:11 pm

She nodded, sticking the metal back in the coals for a second to let it heat up before she tried again. The work was making her sweat though, and she resolved to get rid of her longsleeved shirt when she'd finished the metal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Eri swept her long bangs away from her face with a sigh as she dumped another finished piece into a nearby barrel of water, snatching up a third clump and proceeding to beat the tar out of it. She looked up a moment and noticed Jane sweating. "You might wanna take that off before you pass out" she grinned. "You're looking a bit red in the face."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Glaring at her piece of metal like she had some kind of grudge against it, Jane set it down and nodded. "Agreed. I was thinking about it."

Then she took off the apron, followed by her shirt, so that she was just wearing a sports bra. This made her feel instantly better. She dropped the shirt on top of Eri's pile of skirts and reached for the apron again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:56 pm

Eri cocked her head as she worked. she had never seen a sports top before. "What kind of shirt is that?" she asked curiously. "It looks so much more comfortable than what we wear in my time."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum